- Something you can say about this thing that is true at most times.
- Something you can say about this thing to compare it with other things.
- Something you know about this thing that is good more than other things.
- Something you know about this thing that is like what you want more than other things.
- Amount of something that can be counted or measured.
quarrel = Because someone does not want to do the same thing you want them to do, you each become angry and tell the other things that you think will make them do what you want.
- One of four parts of one thing. Each part is the same.
- One of four parts of the money amount that people count and use inside some countries.
- Part of a place.
- You make a place where you allow someone to sleep.
- This one woman controls a government, and after she dies, one of her children will control the government.
- A woman who is married to the one man who controls a government, and after they die, one of their children will control the government.
- (See 12-05).
- You do not know if something is true, and you want to know this.
- You want to know what is good to do.
quick, quickly = (See 6-13).
- You cannot hear sounds in this place, because the things here are not making sounds.
- You cannot hear the sounds this thing is making if you are not very near to it.
- More than most.
- You can say this is true about all parts of something.
rabbit = Kind of small animal that has hair and four legs. It sleeps inside holes in the ground. On top of its head, it has two long parts that it uses to hear.
- Something moves very quickly.
- Several people move quickly towards a place, and each tries to move to this place before the other people can move to this place.
- Group containing all people who have similar hair and body surface colour. These people all look like other people inside this group, because they look like their parents.
railway = People make a kind of vehicle that moves on top of two very long narrow pieces of metal. A machine inside this vehicle makes it move. It can pull several vehicles behind it, like this: It is connected to one vehicle behind it, and each of these vehicles can be connected to another one behind it. Each of these vehicles has wheels that touch the two very long metal pieces when they move. People put these very long metal pieces in places where they want these vehicles to move.
rain = Liquid water that falls down through the air from far above the ground.
- Lift something or cause it to move up.
- Cause something to become more than before.
- Say something you want other people to start thinking about and saying things about.
- When living things can grow because you help them be healthy for a long time.
- Many different things, but all a similar kind.
- Between these two amounts.
- Something can happen at all places inside this big place, but it cannot happen if it is not inside this big place.
- Something can move to all places inside this big place.
- Very big place where there are several very big amounts of stone that are each very tall. The top of each is very far above all the other ground near this place.
- Something people make that has a hot surface that people use to make food hot. People can put food inside a metal container on top of this surface to make the food hot.
- People compare several groups of things and say each thing inside one group is important or good more than each thing inside the other groups.
- People say you are like someone high above other people if you control more people, or have more money, or can do more than these other people.
- Long group that contains many people. Each is near to two other people, one on one side and one on the other side.
rapid = Happening or moving quickly.
- Most people do not have this because there are not many times and places where this exists.
- There is not much of this.
- This does not happen often.
- Animal part eaten when it is red because people did not make it hot for a long time.
rat = Kind of small animal. You can hold one of them using one hand. This animal has four legs that are not long. Hair grows from most parts of the body of this animal. It has a long narrow part that is connected behind its back where its back legs are connected, and this part does not have hair. Some of these animals live inside buildings where people have food, because these animals want to eat this food. But people do not want them here, because they can give people diseases.
- Each time these two things happen at the same time, you can measure the amount of one and the amount of the other, and this number multiplied by one amount is the same as the other amount.
- When you say you feel this one thing is good more than another thing.
- More than some other things like this.
- You want this one more than this other one.
- This is like part of an animal before you make it become hot and good for you to eat.
- This is what this kind of thing is like before people do something to change it.
- These things are not like what you want, but someone can make these things become something that you want.
re- = Something happens that is like what happened before.
- Something is in a place now because it moved towards this place for some time.
- This is true now because it changed and became more like this for some time.
- You can move your arm and cause your hand to touch something.
- You do something or feel something because of something that happened to you.
- When mixing two or more chemicals causes them to change.
- When something changes because of something that happens.
- What you do or feel because of something that happened to you.
- When things react because of something that happens.
- (See 9-19).
- What you know because you see something and think about it.
ready = You can do this now, because there are not other things you need to do before you can do this.
- This exists.
- This is the same kind of thing you say and think. It is not another kind of thing that looks similar.
- This is true.
- This is important.
- Start to know something is true.
- Know and think about.
- Cause something you think about to exist.
- When someone buys something you have and gives you money.
- You think about the things you know, and you can know other things are true because of this.
- You are able to learn, and this helps you decide what is good to do.
- What causes something to happen.
reasonable = You use reason to decide to do what is good for you and good for other people.
- Someone gives you something.
- This thing was in another place, but then it moved here where you can have it or use it.
- Something happens to you.
- You allow someone to move into a place or become part of a group.
- This happened a short time before now.
- Something caused this to exist a short time before now.
recently = A short time before now.
recognition = When you recognize something.
- You see or hear something now and know it is the same thing that you saw or heard before.
- When you think about something and know it is true or important.
- When you tell other people that something is true or good or important.
- You write some things that happen now, because you want someone to read this some time after now and know about these things that happened.
- When a machine uses what you hear or see now to make something that people can use like this: A long time after now, another machine can use this thing to make people see or hear the things you could see or hear before.
- You measure what something does, and you compare it with all other things someone measured doing the same thing before, and you know this one does something more than all these others.
- Cause something to become less.
- Cause something to become more small than it was before.
- When something becomes less.
- When something becomes more small than it was before.
- The amount of change when something becomes less.
refusal = When you refuse to do something.
refuse = You know someone wants you to do something, but you do not do it. You say you very much do not want to do this and you will not do it.
- Think like this about something.
- Feel something is important.
- This one is very much like most others that are the same kind of thing.
- All these parts of this thing look the same.
- This one thing happens at most times when this other thing happens.
- This same thing happens many times, and the amount of time between each one and the one after it is the same.
- This happens often.
- When two things are related.
- When you compare two things.
- When two people or groups of people have a relationship.
- When two people often do some things in the same place at the same time. Each thinks about the other and can do things that are good for the other.
- What two groups of people each feel when they think about the other, and what each of these groups does to the other.
- When there are two or more things, and some of these things can cause something to happen to the others.
- Someone who is part of your family.
- When you compare this with some other thing.
- When you enjoy some time more because you are doing less or because you are doing something that feels less difficult.
- When you try to control something less than before.
- When you feel less fear.
- When you allow something to move more easily.
relaxing = This makes you relax.
religion = What people think is true when they think about one or more gods, who cause things to happen and things to exist and things to be alive. What people think is good or bad to do because of this. What people think happens to the part of you that exists and thinks after you die because of the good and bad things you did when you were alive.
religious = Saying and doing what a religion tells you to do.
- Something is in a place for some time after other things move from this place.
- Something is the same and does not change for some time.
remember = Think about something you knew or were thinking about before.
- Say something that makes someone think about something they knew or thought about before.
- You think this thing looks like something you saw before.
- Move something out of a place.
- Cause something to stop touching another thing.
- Cause something not to be part of another thing.
rent = When you want to use something that belongs to another person, and this person allows you to use it for some time because you give them money to use it. After this time, they will not allow you to use it more, or you will need to give them more money to be allowed to use it more for some time.
repair = After something becomes damaged, you change the damaged parts and cause this thing to be something good you can use, like it was before it became damaged.
- You do something now that is the same as another thing you did some time before now.
- You do the same thing that you saw or heard some other person do before.
- Cause someone or something to be in a place doing the same thing as another person or thing was doing in this same place before.
- Something was in this place before, and then someone moved it to another place, but now you move it to the same place where it was before.
reply = You say something to me because of what I said to you.
- Something you write or say about what you did or saw or heard. You write or say this because you think someone wants to know this and thinks it is important.
- You move to a place at a time because someone tells you they want you to be in this place at this time.
- One person, who is part of a group, says something to tell other people what most people inside this group think and want.
- This thing is like most others that are the same kind of thing.
- This thing is the same as this other thing.
- You say something about one thing, but you want people to know that you think the same thing about this other thing.
- You want people to see that some things they think about this one thing are like what they can think about this other thing.
representative = Someone that a group chooses to tell other people what this group thinks and wants.
republic = Country where the people choose who is part of the government and who leads the government, and after some time, the people can choose different people to be part of the government and to lead the government.
request = When you tell someone that you want them to give you something or do something that you want.
- Because you think someone is important, you are careful not to do things that they do not want.
- Before you decide what to do, you are careful to think about this, because you do not want it to hurt someone.
- When you think what someone does is very good.
- Thinking something about this.
respectful = Feeling or showing respect.
- The person or thing that caused something to happen.
- You need to prevent bad things that can happen to this thing, because if you do not prevent these bad things, people will say you helped cause these bad things.
- When you choose someone to do something, you want someone like this: someone who is careful at most times and who tries very much to prevent bad things they know can happen.
- Before now, you were doing something for some time, but now you stop doing it, and you move less and do not do difficult things for some time.
- Something was moving down, but it stops moving when it touches a surface.
- You do something to some parts of this thing or group, but you do something different to the other parts.
restaurant = Business where you can buy and eat food.
- You control what can happen. You allow some kinds of things to happen, but you do not allow other kinds of things to happen.
- You allow things to move inside this place, but you do not allow them to move to other places.
- You do not allow something to be more than this amount.
result = Something that happens or exists because of something that happened before.
- Something was here before, and then it moved to some other place, and now it moves here to the same place it was before.
- Something changed, but after some time it becomes the same as before.
- The amount of money you have now that is more than what you had before. You have more now because of work your business did.
- Something you write and give to your government because the government tells you they want to know this about you.
- Because you did something good, something happens that is good for you.
- Someone gives you something good because you did something that helped another person.
rice = Kind of grain that grows in hot places where water can cover the surface of the ground for some time. Very many people eat this grain each day after they put it into very hot water to make it less hard.
- You have more money and more things than most people.
- This is the kind of thing people can people buy if they have much money.
- People want this kind more than other kinds.
- This contains much of this kind of thing.
rid, rid of = Something was here, but then you cause it not to be here because you do not want it here.
ride, rode, ridden =
- You are on top of a moving animal that causes you to move the same place it moves.
- You are on top of or inside a moving vehicle that causes you to move the same place it moves.
- (See 12-20).
- Good for you.
- Does what you want.
- Very near to.
- Not more than a short time after this.
- Something the government rules say you can do.
- Two long straight marks are touching, and this looks the same as part of a square where two long straight marks are touching.
- Small metal circle that people make. You put it around one of the five long narrow parts of your hand.
- Something that is around another thing on all sides.
- Several things that are around a place on all sides.
- Group of people who try to do things that the government rules do not allow.
- When something hits a piece of metal, you hear this sound for some time.
ripe = When part of a plant becomes good for someone to eat.
rise, rose, risen =
- Become more high.
- Become more than before.
- After a time when your head is not far above your feet, you move your body like this: You make your legs straight and move your head up far above your feet.
- When something can happen that is bad for you.
- When something bad for you is more likely to happen because of what you do.
river = Very long place where much water moves on the surface of the ground. On each side of this moving water, there is dry ground. Water moves from one end of this place down to the other end far from where it started.
road = Long hard part of the ground or other hard surface that people, animals and vehicles often use when they move from one place to another. People often move far on this long narrow surface. People often make the surface more hard and easy to use.
rob = Someone has something you want and does not want to give it to you. You decide to do something bad: You move this thing to a place where you can use it, but where they cannot use it after this. They do not stop you because they think you will hurt them if they try to stop you. The government rules do not allow you to do this.
- The top part of something moves towards one side and then towards the other side many times.
- Kind of loud music many young people enjoy.
rod = Something long and straight that is hard and narrow.
- When something moves like this: The bottom part of this thing moves up behind the other parts and then up above all the other parts. Then it moves towards the front and down below all the other parts. It can turn like this several times. This causes this thing to move towards the front.
- Change the shape of something to make it round or the shape of a tube.
- When something heavy turns and presses another thing and makes it flat.
- Moving or sounding like a wheel turning.
- Feeling much love, like two people who want to marry.
- Something that causes you to feel much and think about loving someone or doing something that is not like something you did before.
roof = The top part of a building that covers all the other parts of the building below it.
- (See 12-08).
- Place where someone can put something.
- The part of a plant that grows down below the ground. The other parts of a plant grow up above the ground from here.
- Something that starts small, but more parts grow from this small thing, and it becomes big.
rope = People twist several strings to make this long narrow thing that is more difficult to damage than one string.
- Kind of plant that has flowers that many people enjoy. These flowers can have colours like red or white or yellow. Many people enjoy breathing the air that moves near these flowers because it is like something sweet. These flowers grow from the ends of long narrow parts of the plant that have small parts that can cut your hand.
- This became more high before now.
- Not smooth. Many small parts of the surface are high or low more than other parts.
- Not careful. Likely to hurt someone or damage something.
- Someone was not careful when they made this thing.
- (See 6-15).
- In different parts of this place.
- Not much more than or less than.
- Group of several similar things in a long straight narrow place. Each thing is near to two other things in this long place, one on one side and one on the other side.
- People inside a boat make it move like this: They move something long that has a flat end, and they make the flat end push the water to make the boat move.
royal = Inside a country where one family controls the government, these are the things that this family does or has or uses.
rubber = Something people make using a liquid from inside a kind of tree. People make this liquid hot to make it become solid. People can pull this solid to make it change shape, but when they stop pulling, it becomes the same shape it was before. People use this solid to make many kinds of things, like things to cover your feet, or things to cover the parts of a wheel that touch the ground.
- You do or say things that are likely to make someone angry. What you do shows that you think this other person is not important and what they feel is not important.
- You made this quickly and were not more careful than you needed to be.
- You had something that you could use before, but then something damaged it very much, and after this it cannot be used.
- You wanted something to happen, but then another thing happened, and because of this, you now know that the thing you wanted cannot happen.
- You had money and other things before, but then something happened, and because of this, you do not have money or other things now.
- (See 8-17).
- Something that tells people what to expect if some kinds of things happen.
- When a person or government controls the people inside a country.
- Something hard and straight that people use to help them measure and draw long straight marks.
- The one person who controls the government and people inside a country.
- Something hard and straight that people use to help them measure and draw long straight marks.
run, ran =
- You move your feet to touch the ground many times to cause your body to move very quickly.
- When something like a liquid moves to another place.
- You make the parts of a machine move because this causes something that you want to happen.
- Where parts of this very long thing exist.
- When something happens for some time.
- Group of similar things.
- Move quickly.
- Move to a place very quickly.
- Try to do something or cause something to happen very quickly.